Thursday, October 4, 2018

Welcome to My Blog


You've got to be kidneying me.

Get it??  LOL

YUP, I have Stage 4 kidney disease!

I wanted to come up with a just-as-funny but easier-to-spell name for this blog, but I've already spent months procrastinating, so I finally decided just to go with it. So welcome to my kidney blog. 

Why a blog?  Because it seems like more fun than mass emails and individual conversations about what's going on with me.  And because having something on the "Caring Bridge" seems depressing.  Oh yeah, and because if you want to help me find a kidney, sharing this blog will be the easiest way. 

So let's start at the beginning... 

Discovery (and more procrastination)...

Way back in 2000, after one of many urine tests administered by my OB/GYN during my first pregnancy, my doctor told me that I had blood and protein in my urine (microscopic, nothing you could see with the naked eye).  She said it could be pregnancy related, but that she wanted me to get my kidneys checked out after I gave birth.  

Although I don't remember consciously making the decision not to, I never went to get checked. I was, after all, young, feeling great, and I was a new (single) mom.  Remember those days??  It seems like just yesterday I was holding that boy in my arms, and now he's in college!  

Fast forward 5 years…now happily married to Seth and pregnant with Spencer, Dr. Lynch found blood and protein in my urine again.  This time, I went to a nephrologist after Spencer was born.The first nephrologist I went to was in an old crappy building in Torrance, and he seemed super old-fashioned.  He immediately wanted to do a biopsy.  Not wanting to have an invasive procedure unless I really had to, I sought a second opinion.  

Dr. Tsang is less than 10 years older than me, but I immediately felt at ease with him.  He took his time with me, and answered all of my questions thoughtfully and fully.  A biopsy would give a name to my disease, he said, but ultimately, it would not affect my treatment, as (at that time) my kidneys were functioning just fine.  I had found my kidney doctor.

Because it has been shown to slow the progression of kidney disease, Dr. Tsang did put me on a blood pressure-lowering pill even though my BP was not high.  The lower your BP, the less your kidneys have to work.  Other than that, I just did blood work and collected 24 hours of pee every six months.  And for years, my numbers held steady.  It became a bit of a joke with the Dr., who really wanted to know what I had and why I had zero symptoms.  “Are you sure you don’t want to have a biopsy??” he would ask.  Nope, I said, not until I have to.

We have no idea why my kidneys are damaged, and we will never know.  I don’t have any family history, I don’t have diabetes or any other physical conditions, nothing.  Just luck I guess.  And I've never had symptoms, either, except for abnormal blood work results, so that just added to the mystery.

When Obamacare rolled around and I decided to quit my corporate job, I ended up losing my PPO insurance,  and I didn’t see my nephrologist for three years.  I didn’t worry too much about it, though, because my numbers had always been steady and I was still symptom free. Then, about a year ago, it was time to update my life insurance policy.  State Farm sent a nurse to the house to draw my blood, take my BP, etc.  A few weeks later, I got a letter of denial based on my blood work results.  Specifically, my kidney function was extremely low.  Shit.  Not wanting to look for a new nephrologist, I paid out of pocket to go see Dr Tsang.  I had a history with him, and I trusted him.  Luckily, not long after, we were able to get PPO insurance through Seth’s employer.

It's Time

It's time to get a biopsy, he said.  I had had a larger decline in my kidney function in those 3 years than in the previous nine put together.

To make matters more exciting during this time, I was also having unexplained vaginal bleeding (sorry, guys) and I had an abnormal mammogram.  After literally a whole life of being able to eat like crap and not exercise (and still remain seemingly healthy), I suddenly felt like my luck was running out. Thank goodness for Seth, family, friends, and good health insurance!


Luckily, the bleeding was resolved by a simple in-office procedure, the follow up mammogram was clear, and the biopsy turned out to be physically easy–peasy. It wasn't until the biopsy was over that I realized how emotionally stressed I had been during all of it.

During a biopsy, there is actually a pathologist in the room who looks at the tissue sample(s) they retrieve on the spot to make sure that they get a sufficient sample for testing/diagnosis.  They ended up taking 2 or 3 samples from me. 

Prior to the biopsy, my doctor was treating me as though I had what’s called IgA Nephropathy, a condition in which the glomeruli cells of your kidneys are damaged.  If microscopic examination of these cells showed scar tissue, it would confirm his diagnosis. Unfortunately, and much to my dismay, they somehow got samples of all the different cells of my kidney EXCEPT the glomeruli!!  My doctor was not pleased.  But, he said, based on the other findings, my history, etc., he was inclined to stick with the IgA nephropathy diagnosis, and was not inclined to subject me to another biopsy. 


Post-Biopsy & The Future


Since the biopsy, I’ve been on a very short leash, doing blood work and seeing my doctor every 2-4 weeks.  Unfortunately, after a small period of holding steady,  blood work continues to show further decline in my kidney function.

To give you an idea of what kind of decline I'm referring to, a normal GFR (kidney function indicator) is 60 or better.  In the 3 years I didn't see my nephrologist, my GFR went from 51 to 32.  In the year after that, from the beginning of 2017 to the beginning of 2018, my GFR dropped to 20.

At one of my regular appointments, my doctor caught me off guard by telling me that it was time to start discussing dialysis and kidney transplant.  (I didn't know at the time that a GFR of 20 or less qualifies you to get on the transplant waiting list.) He went over the different types of dialysis, and gave me a referral to the transplant center at Cedar Sinai to start the process of all of the testing that will be required prior to being considered for a transplant, from either a living donor or a cadaver donor. The process of getting on the list can take awhile, so he thought it wise to get started ASAP. Despite knowing this was an eventuality, knowing it was coming didn’t seem to make me any more prepared.
Here we go, I thought.

Although there is no way to know for sure, Dr Tsang’s guestimate is that I’ll need dialysis in 18-24 months.  The in-home dialysis that he recommends for me requires a port and drain in my tummy (sexy!) and doing the dialysis myself FOUR TIMES A DAY.  Fuck!  What I didn’t know, however, is that it's possible to get a kidney transplant before I ever need dialysis.  This option just never even dawned on me.  Of course, it would most likely have to come from a living donor—probably a “bring your own kidney” situation—because the cadaver list wait is long.

(If you’re wondering how long the cadaver waiting list is, the answer is that it depends.  “O” blood types wait the longest, about 12 years in CA.  I am not “O”, but I’m not sure what I am, and what other factors will go into deciding where I would fall on the list.  So right now it’s just wait and see.)


The ideal situation is to have a family member who is a match and who is willing to give up one of their kidneys.  But if you have someone who is willing to donate but who is not a match, you can get into what is called a “paired donation” situation.  While it can involve many people (a chain), the most simple example is this:  Say Seth is a donor candidate, but not a match for me.  Then, somewhere else in the country, there is a person who is a match for me, but not a match for their spouse/friend—but Seth IS a match for their spouse/friend—Seth would give his kidney to that person in need, and their friend/family member who is a match for me would give me theirs.  Like a trade.The third option is getting on the cadaver list.


How you can help...

It’s an interesting position to be in, knowing that a friend/family member might be a match but doesn’t want to donate, or that they want to donate but can’t for some reason.  But one thing I learned when I was doing a lot of fundraising for my breast cancer walks is that sometimes the people you expect to help don’t, and that others surprise you with their willingness to help--both friends/family and strangers alike.  I also realized that we are all on our own journey, and that I could never judge someone for the decisions they made when it came to their money.  That goes double for their body parts!

While I will never ask anyone to be tested to see if they are a match for me (but I will let you, if you really wanna!), what I will do is ask that all of my friends and family share my story by sharing this blog.  There are A LOT of people in my situation, and you never know, I may be able to find a donor just from you sharing. You may unknowingly know someone with a family member or friend in need of a kidney, just like me. So please, share my story, it’s all I ask.  You could literally change my life by doing so!  And if you think it will help get more attention, feel free to attach a cat meme when posting to social media!

Love, Lisa

PS You can subscribe to this blog to get a notification every time I post something new!  Use the email sign up over there on the right!


4 comments:

  1. I don't even love this cause it's not fair that I don't have more kidneys to give :( I'm a gonna share and I know someone will be out there ready and willing to throw their kidney at you. I really wish I could give you my righty. Love you and wishing the best��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, we will spread the word. I know that the folks at Cedars are the best for this and are taking good care of you, but remember that Irina works there with the heart transplant group. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any help navigating the system or getting in touch with anyone. I saw Seth at the park the other day and had this conversation with him but I don't know if he remembered to tell you, :)
    Anything we can do to help, just say the word. Much love, Brad and Irina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude torwards your diagnosis. Your personality shines through your writing, and it says so much more than words can. I will most certainly share your blog. Have faith!

    ReplyDelete